[sudo-users] sudo not respecting configuration in sudoers

Tobias Jakobi liquid.acid at gmx.net
Thu Oct 25 14:53:25 EDT 2007

Hi there,

I have encountered some problem with the sudo configuration on my Gentoo
boxes after showing to a friend (who also uses Gentoo) what you could do
with sudo.

I already described the problem here (Gentoo forum):
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-600806.html

Basically something with the auth process must be wrong. I think I
understand the docs properly so using a host of localhost in the sudoers
config should only grant local users (not the users remotely logged in)
permission to execute the sudo command. That's the first thing that
doesn't work. If I want sudo to work at all I have to set the hostname
to the network hostname (that's 'leena' for my laptop).

The second thing that doesn't work is that when setting hostname to
leena every other host on the network can also log in via ssh and
execute sudo commands. I don't think that this is the correct behaviour.
I've already did a quite lengthy search regarding this 'problem', but I
can't seem to find any usefull information. Maybe I'm using the wrong
search terms, but I have no idea at all where the problem really
originates from. Apart from knowing that it could have something to do
with authentification.

Should not be a problem with ssh because of the localhost-problem which
should be totally independent of ssh.

Maybe someone can guide me in the right direction where to do further
search?

Thanks,
Tobias