HELP: sudo running on AIX

Victor Milone vmilone at painewebber.com
Tue Dec 19 13:11:50 EST 2000

Hi Folks:

We've run sudo version 1.3.1p14 (basic functionality)
on AIX 4.2.1 for years.  On AIX version 4.3.3,
we try one of the basic commands which is as follows:

dsmops_prod01[213]$/home/bin/sudo -v

Instead of being prompted for the password,
we get the following message:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local Systems
Administrator. It usually boils down to these two things:

        #1) Respect the privacy of others.
        #2) Think before you type.

Password:
dsmops_prod01[214]$

I've checked everything that I can find and compared
to the AIX version 4.2.1 system every aspect I can think
of, including:

- User attributes and definition
- Security, owner, group and content
 of the following:

   /home/bin/logs/sudochk
   /etc/sudoers
   /usr/local/scripts/sudoers
   /home/bin/sudo
   /usr/local/scripts/sudo
   /usr/local/bin/sudo

   This includes copying these files from a
   working AIX version 4.2.1 system.

/home/bin/sudo -V returns the version, as it should.

/home/bin/sudo -l returns the program that the
user 'dsmops' is authorized to use.

Other than reinstalling from scratch, I'm out
of ideas.

I'd much appreciate any feedback.  If I have to
reinstall from scratch, where are the most complete
instructions found?

Thanks,

Victor Milone

Paine Webber