Do I understand sudo correctly?

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Tue Feb 22 14:28:49 EST 2000

I'm new :-)

I want to give certain teachers the ability to change students'
passwords, without giving them full access to passwd, smbpasswd, etc.

If I write a Perl script which verifies that they're attempting to deal
with a student's account, have that script call passwd, smbpasswd, etc,
and give the teachers the ability to use sudo to run that script as
root, that will have the desired effect, correct? And they still won't
be able to run passwd, smbpasswd, etc directly as root, right?

As a PS, would anyone be willing to take a look at the script to verify
that I haven't left any gaping holes in it once it is done?

Thanks!

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us