Do I understand sudo correctly?

eric forgette forgettee at DOMRES.COM
Wed Feb 23 14:32:21 EST 2000

	First, I'd like to apologize to the list moderator for starting this
tangent...
	Second, some email tends to be misinterpreted on occasion, as it can
not portray tone as speech can.  I don't mean this email to sound defensive,
or harsh, this is just information...
	Third, I'm not a security expert by any means, but I'll do my best
to address this (as concise as possible)

	Basically, not setting user set-id / allowing a sudo user to execute
a script as root is straight out of the Admin's Bible.
	Although most admins wouldn't call their scripts 'quick hacks' : ) ,
there is some inherent risk in allowing scripts to run as root.  You have
hit on the main issue in your question.  Basically if the author of the
script doesn't supply full paths to executables, handle errors correctly,
redefine path in the env, etc... he/she is asking for trouble.  These are
just basic things, I'm sure more seasoned admins can tell you more.  I guess
what it comes down to is, who is who knows more... the author of the
particular script or the hacker who is trying to abuse it.

	You may want to consider setting up aliases to simplify things for
the Teachers... or challenge them to learn...

	Eric