"coredumpsize" problem with sudo

Alek O. Komarnitsky alek at ast.lmco.com
Mon Feb 28 16:01:17 EST 2000

> From: pradeep at tradeit.com (Pradeep Subramaniam)
> Subject: "coredumpsize" problem with sudo
> To: sudo-users at courtesan.com
> Cc: pradeep at tradeit.com (Pradeep Subramaniam)
>

> Hi there,
>
> I am new to the mailing list, but not so new to sudo. I have recently
> compiled and installed sudo version 1.6.2.p1 on a Solaris 2.6
> environment. My sudoers file is rather basic, limiting who can su to
> root and another user called "server".
>
> The issue I am having is that now the user "server" is set a limit of
> zero (0) bytes for "coredumpsize". (This is obtained when the "limit"
> command is run).
>
> Has anyone encountered this before and can you please tell me what the
> work around is? Thanks in advance.
>
> Pradeep.

Somewhere back in the last few releases of sudo Todd tweeked:
   372) sudo now turns off core dumps via setrlimit (probably paranoia).
which is probably a good idea ... and might be related to your problem.

BTW, we had a semi-related problem on HPUX ... our "master" .cshrc file
has a "limit coredumpsize 0" in it to set this by default for users.
This has been there basically forever.

So I do the upgrade of sudo to 1.6.2p1 (from 1.5.long-time-ago) and everything
is cool except when we do a "sudo su - SOME-USER" ... this generates an error:
   "Can't set limit."

After scratching most of the hair off my head, it turns out that if you say:
   "limit coredumpsize 0"
that it's OK for "normal users" ... but you get that message with the new sudo
OR if you simply become root.

The solution?  Use:   "limit coredumpsize 0k"     ;-)   ;-)

Why the former is OK for normal *AND* root users on IRIX, SunOS, Solaris,
but ONLY OK for normal users on HPUX, and NOT for root users, is beyond me! ;-)
But the later is more "correct" syntax.
alek