sudo versus PowerBroker ...

Alek O. Komarnitsky (N-CSC) alek at ast.lmco.com
Wed Jun 21 10:30:53 EDT 2000

Sudo-Users,

An associate is evaluating sudo vs. PowerBroker at their site.

PB seems to offer additional capabilities of time based access
control (i.e. I can only use during business hours) and also
keystroke logging (keep track of what I inputted to the command
in addition to what command was run). I haven't "officially" seen
the PB vs. sudo document provided by PB, but I've heard it slams
sudo for security issues, lack of scalability, inability to
centrally log stuff, and assorted other things ... none of which
ring true in my 5+ years experience with sudo!   ;-)

So there obviousely is a fair amount of FUD being presented;
I guess as a means of justifying the HUGE cost for this large site.
I'm kinda curious if anyone out there has evaluated the two products
and has any real-life experiences they can share.

Thanx,
alek