Bizarre behaviour with sudo

Paul Lussier pll at mclinux.com
Tue May 9 09:28:31 EDT 2000

In a message dated: Tue, 09 May 2000 04:28:59 PDT
George Meharry II said:

>Hey there Paul ...
>
>What were your compile-in options?

I don't remember exactly, but let's see if I can't figure them out:

	./configure --prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/usr/local/etc \
	--with-insults --with-all-insults

is probably what I used. I didn't see any options in there I was likely to
have used other than these (except maybe --diable-shadow, but I know I didn't
use that one and maybe --with-pam, but I'm not sure).

>You're on LINUX, are you sure that NIS is being used by that node?

Absolutely.  My NIS password is used when I:

	log into the machine
	when I su to my own account
	when I unlock my screensaver

Additionally, when I  log onto the NIS master, sudo uses my NIS passwd there
as well (but the local /etc/passwd file on the NIS master is also what's used
for the NIS passwd map).

> Do you have a local passwd entry?

Nope, checked that :)  I even rm'ed the /etc/shadow file and recreated it with
pwconv to make sure there wasn't an extraneous entry in the local file.

>One thing that I've found (expected result) is that if
>I have an NIS group locally defined and don't have all
>of the NIS group members defined in the locally
>defined group, those folks don't have access to that
>particular client ...

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think that's the case here.  My
sudoers file has 3 entries:

	User_Alias      ADMINS = +admins

	# Cmnd alias specification

	# User privilege specification
	root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
	ADMINS  ALL=(ALL) ALL

Sudo *is* working, and it's working well, it just isn't recognizing that my
passwd has changed, and I don't know where it's looking.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help/suggestions, I really appreciate it.

--
Seeya,
Paul