restricting within command

Brent n9bc at netnet.net
Fri May 19 10:04:58 EDT 2000

What I have used to get around this problem is this

#!/usr/bin/perl

use strict;

my $user = shift || die "\nusage: $0 username\n\n";

my(@check,$name,$answer);

die "\nwhat's up, chief? I don't like the username you gave me.\n\n" unless ($user
=~ m/^[a-z0-9\-\+\_]+$/);

# place any usernames here that should be protected

@check = qw(root bin daemon adm lp sync shutdown halt uucp operator slist
majordomo named quota7 backup nobody);

foreach $name (@check)
{
        die "\nSorry, you can't change the password for $user.\n\n"
                 if($user eq $name);
}

my ($gcos) = (getpwnam $user)[6] || die "\n Username $user does not appear to
exist!\n\n";

print "\nDo you want to change the password for $user [$gcos]? [yn]";
chomp($answer = <>);
$answer =~ /^[Yy]/ or die "\nThanks for playing...\n\n";

print "\n";

system("/usr/bin/passwd",$user);

Then i added this the sudoers file.
User_Alias      SUPPORT = joetech

Cmnd_Alias  CHPASS=/usr/local/sbin/changepass
UPPORT ALL = CHPASS

Hope that helps.

Brent