sudo and links

Steve Freed sfreed at ilm.com
Tue Sep 19 21:08:23 EDT 2000

I'm trying to figure out how sudo handles links.

Example:

 % ls -log /usr/bin/chown
   lrwxr-xr-x    1      16 Dec 23  1999 /usr/bin/chown -> /sbin/chown

 % ls -log /sbin/chown
   -rwxr-xr-x    1   14104 Oct  1  1999 /sbin/chown*

If a user has permission to execute /usr/bin/chown as root in sudo, will
it work? Even if they don't have permission for /sbin/chown?

If they have permission for /sbin/chown but not /usr/bin/chown what
then? Does it follow the link and let them?

I can see arguements for having it both ways. Which way does it really
work?

--
Steve.