Using redirection in commands

Britton Bob Britton_Bob at prc.com
Mon Apr 16 11:02:11 EDT 2001

I have a log file which I want owned by root and a script that can be run by
any user.  I want to use sudo to allow the script (run by the user) to echo
status messages to the log file (owned by root) without a password.  How do
I set this up?  I tried putting the redirection (>>) on the command line but
that's interpreted by the shell before it gets to sudo.  I tried putting the
redirection in the sudoers file, but I either got a syntax error when I
tried to exit visudo, or I was prompted for the password when the script ran
sudo.

Bob B.