I could walk around sudo!!!

mackay at kodak.com mackay at kodak.com
Thu Feb 15 09:20:09 EST 2001

From: Scott D. MacKay

Wow, if this were on slashdot I am sure this would receive a troll flag....
As many people have said, you really need to read the docs more.  If you
still want to avoid that, think of the tool another way than you currently
are.

SUDO should be treated as a 'allowance by rule definition' rather than a
'disallowance by rule definition'.  This means that you should configure
SUDO to specifically allow well defined commands rather than say "allow
everything BUT xyz'.  Really, there are not that many commands where a
person NEEDS to be root to perform system administration.  For those cases,
the definitions in the sudoers file should call out the explicit commands.
If you give a person full root access, there is nothing to keep them from
editing the password file, creating a chmod +s shell, etc etc.
When would you use the 'ALL' option?  There are good cases, but in every
one the targeted individuals are people that are completely trusted.
For me, I use the 'ALL' option for myself so I do not need to send the root
password across the wire when telneted into another machine (plus I have it
configured for SecurID authentication so my password is useless to would-be
hackers too)...

Scott MacKay

"Henry Leung" <hleung at osft.com> on 02/13/2001 05:11:27 PM