sending email to admin instead of root (default)

Suzanne Levy suzanne.levy at datamail.co.nz
Mon Feb 26 15:17:12 EST 2001

this is from my /etc/sudoers file

I commented out the mail_always cause it's a busy system and I was getting
too much crap - I still use it on my quieter systems.
for username insert the username you want and in that users home directory I
have a .forward file that contains the smtp address on our exchange server -
so the mail comes to the users ms outlook. Or you can use
username at domain.com.

Which version of sudo are you using - it will make a difference...

Defaults        mailto=username
Defaults        mail_no_user	 #sends a mail when a user who is not in the
sudoers file tries to execute a sudo command
#Defaults       mail_always
Defaults        mail_no_perms  #sends a mail when a user tries to execute an
unauthorised command

Suzanne Levy
Open Systems Analyst
Interconnect Services