placing sudoers in NFS mounted directory

Alek O. Komarnitsky (N-CSC) alek at ast.lmco.com
Thu May 31 18:11:09 EDT 2001

> From: "Todd C. Miller" <Todd.Miller at courtesan.com>
> Subject: Re: placing sudoers in NFS mounted directory
> To: "Guthzeit, Max (OTS-EDH)" <max_guthzeit at billing.com>
> Cc: "'sudo-users at courtesan.com'" <sudo-users at courtesan.com>
>
> In message <113C22F0C0AFD1119BCC00805F9FB64208F5882D at mxibs1.ibs.uscs.com>
> 	so spake "Guthzeit, Max (OTS-EDH)" (max_guthzeit):
>
> > Are there any known issues, security or otherwise, with placing the sudoers
> > file in an NFS mounted directory?  this would eliminate the need to update
> > sudoers file on a plethora of machines everytime a change is made to the
> > file.
>
> Not really, I a lot of people do this.  It does require that sudoers
> be group-readable but that's the default now anyway.
>
>  - todd

FYI FWIW: We automount sudoers (and the sudo binaries themselves)
on 1,000+ Sun, HP, and SGI boxes ... works fine an no issues that
I'm aware of. I also mention this on my sudo presentation that is
available from the sudo home page or directly at:
   http://www.komar.org/  ->  Misc. Tech Stuff ->  sudo

alek