Controlling the LIBPATH environment variable under AIX.

Jean-Marc Monnez monnez.jean-marc at agora.msa.fr
Fri Oct 5 04:56:30 EDT 2001

Reinitializing of LIBPATH for all executables that have the setuid bit (sudo
does have the setuid) is a system security already implemented in AIX. Even if
sudo didn't clear LIBPATH, AIX would have done it before because of the suid
bit.
Imagine somebody writing a very "personal" libc.a with same entry points, but
with totally different code. Then the guy sets his
LIBPATH=/dir_with_own_libc:$LIBPATH and he launches an innocent root owned
command with suid bit. All calls to dynamic libc.a would be executed in his own
libc.a. To avoid this kind of risk, AIX resets LIBPATH.

What you may do to turn around this :
1) give the users the right to execute a script where you position LIBPATH with
correct value, then launch the app from the script.
2) or give the users the right to start : sudo LIBPATH=<what you need>
application

HTH

-- JMM