vi and sudo

Allan.Marillier at dana.com Allan.Marillier at dana.com
Tue Apr 23 08:42:14 EDT 2002

vi on Linux is very often vim, which gives you the rvi

You can go to http://www.vim.org and download the latest source
for vim and compile it for any platform. I've built it with no trouble
on HP-UX and AIX, and also use precompiled vim executables on
my PC under Windows. (Adding some class and power to the OS!)

vim also gives you a GUI environment if you want it (gvim) and has a rgvim
version as well, to give a restricted GUI vi.

vim has a number of benefits over stock vi, including providing simple
file locking - ensuring that two people don't vi the same file at the same
time
and trash each other's changes.

(No - I have nothing to do with the vim project - I just believe it's a
very good
vi implentation.)

                    "Thomas
                    Robinson"             To:     <sudo-users at sudo.ws>
                    <tom.robinson@        cc:
                    ehbas.com>            Subject:     RE: vi and sudo
                    Sent by:
                    sudo-users-adm
                    in at sudo.ws

                    04/23/02 04:46
                    AM

> dear list,
>
> i am new to sudo and recently installed it on sun
> solaris 2.6. when i open vi while acting in the sudo
> context, vi still seems lets me execute shell commands
> as root.

I'm not sure about Solaris, but linux has /bin/rvi and /bin/rview which
restrict the use of such things as executing shells from within an
editing session.

Tom

This e-mail message is meant solely for the person or organisation to whom
it is adressed. The message may contain personal or confidential
information, or information that is not public in nature. Ehbas Ltd accepts
no responsibility for message content and possible attachments that are
unlawful or of questionable decency. Further dissemination, publication or
duplication of this message is strictly prohibited if the person or
organisation receiving this message is not the intended recipient. In the
event that you are not the intended recipient, we request you to refrain
from using the content and to immediately inform the sender of the error by
returning the message. Thank you for your co-operation.