Using sudo in scripts

Gary Call gcall at starcalif.com
Wed Aug 7 16:38:19 EDT 2002

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot and not doing something correctly, because it
doesn't seem to work for me :)

Here is a sample menu script (just for testing)...
#!/bin/sh
clear

echo "---------- TEST Menu ----------"
echo
echo
echo "1. Run \"ls\""
echo "2. Run \"ps\""
echo "3. Run \"mount\""
echo
echo "Choice: " ; read choice
echo

case $choice in
   1)   ls;;
   2)   /bin/ps;;
   3)   /bin/mount;;
esac

Here is a sample of my sudoers file:
gcall   ALL=/home/gcall/test.mnu,/bin/mount

I execute sudo /home/gcall/test.mnu as user "gcall".  Once in this menu,
all 3 commands will run without going through sudo.  I *thought* that I
would be denied ls and ps, but permitted to run mount.

If I prefix all of the commands with sudo in the script, it then works.
Am I doing something wrong, or am I assuming incorrectly that all
commands in this script would be prefixed with sudo automatically?

I was hoping to wrap EVERYTHING in the script to use sudo, if I invoked
the script using sudo ---- make sense??

Thanks for all your input!
Gary