Is my implementation/understanding of SUDO flawed?

ian Laing ian.laing at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 24 17:08:36 EST 2002

Hi,

Quick reply Todd for a Sunday evening - is it you or an automated response?

Unfortunately this is the lesser of the 2 problems, though thanks for the
tip on with-secure-path.
I tend to download pre-built AIX sudo from Bull freeware site, hence the
downlevel code.
Reckon I'll have to get to grips with gcc and try and build it myself -
though since I'm downlevel on sudo the secure-path does the job just fine,
for the short-term, and can live in the sudoers file.

I still think sudo is giving me a false sense of security with regards to
some of the scripts I'm sudoing - no-one said sudo would protect me from
mis-administration though ;-(
Maybe someone's built a mod for cursory permission checking to stop someone
using sudo to execute a command which they have write access to, which
basically defeats one purpose of using sudo.

At worst I may write a wrapper for sudo, which to my mind is crazy, but at
least it may give me more peace of mind that anyone,
accidentally/deliberately, placing a command in the directory which has a
mode of 777 won't jeapordise the system.

Cheerio,
ian Laing