Applying difference patches to sudo

Charles R. Griffis cgriffis at ast.lmco.com
Wed Jan 16 16:29:08 EST 2002

I'm trying to apply the difference patch sudo-1.6.3p7.patch to sudo version
1.6.3 with the following results:

When I follow the instructions for the patch it says to run this from the source
dir and I get the output as follows:

	[sunbox] ~/sudo-1.6.3 284> patch -p1 < sudo-1.6.3p7.patch
	  Looks like a unified context diff.
	File to patch:

I thought this should be automated.  In case something was weird I went ahead
and told it the file for the first diff which was "CHANGES" and received the
following output:

	[sunbox] ~/sudo-1.6.3 267> patch -p1 < sudo-1.6.3p7.patch
	  Looks like a unified context diff.
	File to patch: CHANGES
	Hunk #2 failed at line 121.
	Hunk #3 failed at line 148.
	Hunk #4 failed at line 95.
	Hunk #5 failed at line 121.
	Hunk #6 failed at line 139.
	Hunk #7 failed at line 169.
	Hunk #8 failed at line 199.

I killed it at this point since it didn't look like it was working like it
should.  Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong here?

I changed "patch p1" to "patch p0" and ran the patch at the next level up and it
skipped the "File to patch part:" but still generated the "Hunk #" errors.

I'm not familiar with patch so I assume I'm doing something wrong here.

Thanks.

-chuck