being asked for the password even with a NOPASSWD option...

Jim Matzdorff jmatz at redback.com
Sat Nov 2 21:28:41 EST 2002

well, i accidentally deleted one response to my query when i was about to
reply to it ... not very good.  but anyhow, i believe the question was
"what does 'sudo -l' show":

User jadeweb may run the following commands on this host:
    (jaderun) NOPASSWD: /opt/web/jade/admin/serverAction

i have more information on this, however ...

it seems as if 3 users on my system shared the same UID -- (505 in this
case).  currently, i'm blaming SuSE for this, since i added a few users
with "adduser" and a few users through their GUI utility.  didn't
really check to make sure it wasn't picking the same UID (didn't think it
would) but when i checked the passwd file, they all were using ID 505.
wierd.

anyhow, i have a feeling that has alot to do with it, as since i have
cleaned it up, the problem has not shown itself again.

if it does indeed come back again, i shall run the above asked for command
at that point to see what it displays....

sorry for the alarm;
--jim