SUDO for ORACLE

Moore, Terrence tmoore at stanfordmed.org
Wed Sep 18 19:30:23 EDT 2002

> I read through your archives and couldn't find the answer.  I would
like to
> have our DBA use SUDO to access the Oracle database.  I am not sure if
one
> sudo's into ORACLE, how does one assume the ORACLE environment?

> Can SUDO be used to access Oracle or Sybase database?

Oracle has its own authentication methods, which are generally not
integrated with Unix's authentication.  In addition, while Unix root can
do anything to the Oracle files and processes, it has no special
privileges regarding database access.  In short, I don't believe sudo
would be useful in allowing special database access privileges.  Such
privileges would probably be better controlled via the Oracle "grant"
and "revoke" commands.