cd problem (Re: problem)

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Thu Apr 10 11:33:06 EDT 2003

In message <A74DA636A939D7118E4B00065B8E55B0077A57 at hydmail2.hyd.office.juno.com

	so spake Molumuri Janardhan (mjanar):

> My problem is
>
> I have directory
> drwxr-x---   3 root     sys          512 Feb  8 06:11 cron.d
>
> I couldn't able to "sudo cd cron.d" won't work.

Nor should it.  From the sudo TROUBLESHOOTING file:

Q) When I try to use "cd" with sudo it says "cd: command not found".
A) "cd" is a shell builtin, you can't run it as a command since
   a child process (sudo) cannot affect the current working directory
   of the parent (your shell).

Q) When I try to use "cd" with sudo the command completes without
   errors but nothing happens.
A) Some SVR4-derived OS's include a /usr/bin/cd command for reasons
   unfathomable.  A "cd" command is totally useless since a child process
   cannot affect the current working directory of the parent (your shell).