Solairs 8 compat mode

Greene Jason-RB512C RB512C at motorola.com
Tue Feb 4 16:09:01 EST 2003

Hello All,

I am having an issue using sudo in (NIS) compat mode on solaris 8.

I currently have several solaris 2.6 machines in this configuration that work.  The passwd file has entries for the users I want to allow on the machine.
/etc/passwd
+rb512c
+:x:::::/bin/false

/etc/nsswitch.conf
passwd: compat
group: compat

Sudo works perfect on solaris 2.6 with this setup.  But on solaris 8, sudo will never accept the valid password.  If I change /etc/nsswitch.conf back to "passwd: files nis" then sudo works fine, but I do not get the restricted login I am looking for.

I'm I way off here?  Should I be looking into pam modules now?  I cannot seem to find this problem searching the web.

Thanks in advance,

--
Jason Greene (rb512c)
 <mailto:RB512C at email.sps.mot.com> RB512C at email.sps.mot.com