sudo timing out

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Fri Jan 17 17:55:03 EST 2003

In message <3E281DA1.1F73C68B at usg.edu>
	so spake babrown (bobby.a.brown):

> We are running very long dd commands to convert from raw to filesystems.
> However, we are getting timed out using the sudo command. Is there a
> technique to get by this?

What do you mean by "timed out"?  Sudo has two timeouts.  The first
is when it is waiting for a password to be entered.  The seconding
is the time to live of the ticket file; when the time since the
last sudo invocation exceeds this limit the user is prompted for a
password again.

Both timeouts are configurable in recent versions of sudo.