Implementing LDAP

Christopher Sheldon christopher.sheldon at agile.com
Mon Jan 27 13:48:14 EST 2003

Aaron--

What about a runtime directive similar to Solaris's (and other's)
nsswitch.conf(4) file? The sudoers file could have a directive that
tells it if it needs to check ldap only, local file only or both and
which order has precedence:

sudo-auth: ldap files

or something similar. Does this inherently compromise security
besides that local write access to the file permits a root user to
remove LDAP from the authentication scheme?

What about having this information stored in the LDAP server
and if the binary is compiled "--with-ldap", then it looks to the
LDAP server for the (what would you call that?) sudoers file
switch information? This would still permit control of precedence,
but place it in a more secure location.

Chris.