Basic Sudo Issue!!

Lucas Clark lclark11 at rci.rogers.com
Thu Jul 24 09:57:32 EDT 2003

Hi All,

We are a small team of co-op students with no sudo experience. Recently we
have been forced to use it as the only method of solving a particular
problem. Namely, we need to run "ipchains" when logged in as an user other
than root.

Mainly by looking at examples, we were able to patch the following sudoers
file together. Yet we can't get it to work. We want for the dummy1, dummy2
users to be able to run Ipchains without a password.

	# Host alias specification
	Host_Alias      FW_SERVER=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
	# User alias specification
	User_Alias      IPCHAIN_ADMIN=dummy1,dummy2
	# Cmnd alias specification
	Cmnd_Alias FW_SCRIPT=/sbin/ipchains

	# Defaults specification
	# User privilege specification
	root    ALL=(ALL) ALL

We are not sure if we should specify =(root), because IPchains can be run by
the root only.

	??  IPCHAIN_ADMIN   ALL = NOPASSWD: FW_SCRIPT
or
	??  IPCHAIN_ADMIN ALL=(root) FW_SCRIPT

Can anyone tell us if this is correct. Also, how do we actually use sudo
from the command prompt? We've tried typing "sudo ipchains - L" when logged
in as the user "dummy1", but we get a "command not found" error?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Lucas Clark
Rogers AT&T Wireless