problem using sudo on nis environment

Mitch Marks mitch at cuip.net
Thu Jul 24 15:34:45 EDT 2003

Are you using root_squash on the exporting server?  If so, root of the
client is treated as some special low-privileged user (something like
'nfsnobody') on the exporting machine.

HTH,

 --mitch

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Sarkar, Anirban wrote:

> I have a NIS environment with a linux 7.3 as the NIS master and solaris 5.8
> as the client, all the functionality in NIS works properly.I'm also rinning
> nfs to automount the home directories of the users from the NIS master, when
> the user logs on to the client.
>
> I want to give sudo rights to some users on the client machine, when I add a
> user on the sudoers, they can run the sudo command but it gives the
> following error :
>
> shell-init: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent
> directories: Permission denied
> bash: /home/dev121/.bashrc: Permission denied
>
> At this point the user has  uid=0 gid=1(other).
> Basically the user has no access to his home directory once he becomes root.
>
> Can anyone please give me a solution to this, I have spent a lot of time
> finding the solution of this problem on the net, but no luck yet.
>
> -sarkar.

  "And Shirley Gustafson-Murphy shall follow me all the days of my life."

Mitchell Marks
CUIP & WIT Tech Coordinator
CUIP: Chicago Public Schools / Univ. of Chicago Internet Project
WIT: Web Institute for Teachers
http://cuip.net/cuip      http://wit.uchicago.edu/wit
5640 S Ellis Ave  AAC-045, Univ of Chgo, Chgo IL 60637

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
	Fax 702-8212
	Home (messages only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitchell at cuip.net
	Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with CUIP\WIT mail!):
           mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
	Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com
Email to pager (for SHORT text msgs): 7736206744 at mobile.att.net