transparent sudo?

Emil Isberg emil.isberg at mds.mdh.se
Tue Jul 29 02:12:55 EDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 J.Sternal at mainova.de wrote:
>we're looking for something like a "transparent sudo" (for AIX 5.1), so
>that the users don't realize that they're using a tool like sudo. Also as
>we have got a lot of home-made automatic scripts (some ancient and well
>hidden), it would be difficult to put sudo in everywhere.

Sudo isn't a tool for everything... For automatic scripts another approuch
is better... Sudo is best for user starting program kind of things.

And it's not a big problem hiding so that people can skip typing sudo...
You have to write a shellscript for every command that you want to be
controlled by sudo and another shellscript that simply calls sudo with
full path to the script.

/usr/local/bin/helpdeskpine:
#!/bin/sh
if [ time is right ]
then
  sudo -u helpdesk /usr/local/sudobin/helpdeskpine
else
  echo Sorry not allowed at this time.
fi

/usr/local/sudobin/helpdeskpine:
#!/bin/sh
cd /home/helpdesk
PINECONF=`find out what .pinerc the user should use`
pine -conf "$PINECONF"

(Yes this is really not a fool proof situation... Better would be to do
the time check in the real script... But at least it show you one usage
of sudo.)

--
A stunning blonde, but probably all bean dip above the eyebrows.