sudo with ldap support

Aaron Spangler as at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 23 07:24:15 EDT 2003

My Client is supposed to release the patch this week.  It is a nice
implementation of sudoers inside LDAP.  It scales well and gives much more
granularity of the sudo options on a per sudoRole basis.  (sudoRole is defined
as a combination of a set of users on a set of hosts running a set of commands
as a set of runas users.  You can have as many sudoRoles as you want - Even
thousands and it should scale well.  The LDAP server never needs to have all
of its entries dumped - only a small subset searched based upon the groups &
netgroups a user belongs to.)

I am hoping the patch will eventually become mainstreamed into sudo since it
co-exists in the code nicely.  It even allows for globally ignorring the
/etc/sudoers file on all machines based upon a global sudo option in ldap.

Also since sudo has PAM support, sudo can use LDAP authentication via
PAM_LDAP.  (I have tested this and this is what we use)

 - Aaron