sudo not working

ian Laing ian.laing at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 27 19:40:08 EDT 2003

Hi Andrea,

I've not used netsaint but since no-one has picked this up yet I thought I'd
have a stab at least at saying that our sudo logs contain the TTY=unknown
and it's not a problem for the tasks we're running (these are tasks being
ssh'ed from another machine).

If netsaint requires a TTY then that could be a problem.

The only other thing that springs to mind is whether you have a "normal"
environment established within sudo.

sudo *will/may* reset certain system variables - to see if that's the
problem then perhaps you can build a shell script to invoke the restart and
either set variables yourself or simply source the root profile before the
script itself runs the restart.

Also possibly use a set in the shell script redirected to a file to check
what your environment variables conain would help - and an echo of $? after
the restart and redirect stderr to file.

The fact that sudo is not logging an error would indicate your restart is
being run even if not successfull.

Cheerio,
ian Laing

---