Command Execution Error

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Tue Mar 18 15:51:33 EST 2003

I've setup a basic sudoers file that's only intended to be used for a few
commands at the moment. I added my account so I could test things out.  When
I run the vi command defined I have no problems. However, when I attempt to
run the htpasswd command, I get the error shown below.  If I remove the path
to the .htpasswd file out in the sudoers file and run the command along with
the necessary path to the password file the command works.  My desire is to
run the htpasswd command with the path to the password file.  Is there
something I'm missing here?  I could have sworn I had it working earlier
like this but guess not.  With the vi command running in the same fashion
with no problems, I'm totally baffled as to what the issue could be.

Any ideas, etc here as to what may be wrong?

sudo /usr/apache/bin/htpasswd /opt/www/retirees/htdocs/.htpasswd smithwe6
Sorry, user smithwe1 is not allowed to execute '/usr/apache/bin/htpasswd
/opt/www/retirees/htdocs/.htpasswd smithwe6' as root on ngwww.

# Host alias specification
Host_Alias RETIREEWEBPAGE=ngwww
# User alias specification
User_Alias ACCTCREATORS = reidehj1,roberdl1,smithwe1
# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias ADDACCT = /usr/apache/bin/htpasswd
/opt/www/retirees/htdocs/.htpasswd
Cmnd_Alias DELETEACCT = /usr/bin/vi /opt/www/retirees/htdocs/.htpasswd
# Defaults specification

# User privilege specification
root    ALL=(ALL) ALL
ACCTCREATORS   RETIREEWEBPAGE=ADDACCT,DELETEACCT

Bill Smith

<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu <mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
ISS Systems Server Group
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
Laurel, MD 20723
Phone:  443-778-5523
Web:  http://www.jhuapl.edu <http://www.jhuapl.edu>