Program name with full path in syslog entries

Christian.Schmid at snb.ch Christian.Schmid at snb.ch
Fri Oct 17 09:18:25 EDT 2003

Hello

I log messages to syslog when using sudo. If I call
sudo without path I get something like:

Oct 17 14:31:41 fortytwo sudo: chrigi : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/chrigi ;
USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/df

If I call sudo with the full path I get the following:

Oct 17 14:31:41 fortytwo /usr/local/bin/sudo: chrigi : TTY=unknown ;
PWD=/home/chrigi ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/df

As we use syslog-ng for central logging and we log on program
name basis, the entries for sudo called with the full path will go
/pathtologfiles/usr/local/bin/sudo/sudo.log
instead of
/pathtologfiles/sudo/sudo.log

Is there an option to remove the path from the syslog entry ?
Is this a feature or a bug ?

Thanks

Regards,
Christian

This message is for information purposes only. It may not be secure or
error-free. The Swiss National Bank does not accept legal responsibility for
any consequences resulting from e-mail use.