Syslog username length

donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com
Thu Oct 23 19:21:30 EDT 2003

In many UNIX versions, the maximum length of a user name is limited to eight
characters.  This constant reflects that limit.  On many newer versions of
UNIX (Linux comes to mind) this limit is no longer in effect.  There may be
an operating system constant that holds the local limit, but I am not sure
that it is consistent across all versions.

Don

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey