How to zero out a logfiles

donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com
Thu Apr 1 09:36:57 EST 2004

Another way to do this, that preserves the concepts of the original
request is:

	sudo sh -c "echo > /var/log/admfile"

The reason that the original method fails is that the redirection is
done in the original user's shell, and he/she does not have permission
to open the log file as the non-root user ID.

The command listed above works because the redirection of standard out
occurs in the context of a root-owned shell.  This is important because
many times you will want to run a command as another user and need to
send the output to a file that you personally don't have permission to
open.  The general method to handle that is"

sudo sh -c "command_to_run 1 or more parameters >log_file 2>error_file"

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Best wishes.

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey