runtime issues TOP45 using head

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at chevrontexaco.com
Thu Feb 12 16:45:07 EST 2004

What's this produce?

grep root /etc/passwd
grep ':0:' /etc/passwd

(those should produce the same line)

Also, log in as root and type 'id' and see what that produces if the
above produces any squirrely looking stuff.

There's got to be some userid/uid disconnect somewhere.  You're on a
local disk that wasn't mounted with nosuid option.  The only other thing
I can think of is root really isn't root.

Running a tusc or truss on sudo would be nice too.

Eric