sudo and security

Ladner, Eric (Eric.Ladner) Eric.Ladner at chevrontexaco.com
Thu Jan 15 09:00:10 EST 2004

Personally, I don't see having sudo with ALL privs as less secure
(although, you could take the argument that now there are two passwords
you can crack to get root level access to the machine).  Plus, as you
mentioned, there is logging, so you can see who is doing what.  But, if
somebody does "sudo /bin/ksh", you can see that they did it, but not
specifically what they did once the shell launched.

Still, the root password is not wide spread when using sudo, so it SEEMS
more secure.  Consider also that if some yahoo changes your root
password on one of your boxes, you are locked out (short of rebooting in
single user and changing it back).  Sudo can save your butt in some
cases like that, as can a secure shell (i.e. ssh) set up correctly.
Also, people that just need to run one or two commands can be given them
specifically with sudo, rather than giving them the run of the whole box
just to start up a backup or some service on the machine, which is
definitly more secure.

Just my 0.02.

Eric