[sudo-users] Re: sudo ldap

Aaron Spangler as at insight.rr.com
Mon Jun 7 23:20:02 EDT 2004

Chris,

You might consider consolidating the 600 roles since they are likely to be
similar.  In LDAP you can have multi-valued attributes.  So you can have a
Role that has more than one sudoUser attribute.   For example, if you were
able to include 200 similar users into one sudoRole entry, 400 into a second,
and the remainder into a few more, you should be able to collapse it into
maybe 30 roles total. Or maybe into 5 if they are almost all identical.
(Thats one of the strengths of LDAP).  This should also make it easier to
manage.  If the entries are created automatically, you could modify your
automated add script to do an 'ldap modify' instead of 'ldap add' to add the
new attribute (user) to a specific role.

If you're stuck, export a few of the examples or send me screen shots and I'll
try to help explain what I mean.

Remember that the 'sizelimit' is the number of LDAP entries (objects) not
attributes.  So even if an single entry (Role) has 200 attributes (Users) on
it, it only counts as one entry according to 'sizelimit'.

I hope all this makes sense.  Please let me know and I will be glad to help
more.

 -Aaron