sudo configure options

Peter Santoro psantoro at att.net
Fri Mar 5 18:27:19 EST 2004

I'm using slackware 9.1 and I've been happily using sudo for a while
now.  Recently I tried to give non-root users the ability to run a few
scripts as root.  Some of these scripts use commands that are not in a
non-root user's PATH.  These scripts failed to run under sudo.  After
reading the docs and searching google, it appears that I can accomplish
what I want by rebuilding sudo (configure --with-secure-path) or by
modifying the users' PATH.  I'd prefer to rebuild sudo using the
--with-secure-path configure option.

I also checked the SlackBuild script for sudo 1.6.6 and noticed that it
uses the following two configure options:

--with-getpass

--with-C2

Running configure --help does not display information about these
options.  After reading the latest sudo CHANGES file, it looks like
--with-C2 refers to shadow passwords and --with-getpass might be related
to tgetpass.  What are these options really for?  Do I still need them
or are they now now obsolete?

Thank you for your help,

Peter