how to confirm non-root user is a qualified sudo user in a (perl)script?

Ken Wolcott ken.wolcott at med.ge.com
Thu Mar 18 10:51:41 EST 2004

Hi Aaron;

  Thank you very much for your reply.

  Did you try your proposed solution?  Did you try it for both
"authorized" sudo users and unauthorized users?

  I guess I wasn't clear about what the problem is.  The script I'm
writing needs to be non-interactive.  If an unauthorized user of sudo
attempts to run sudo, the password prompt appears at the tty layer now
making the the script an interactive one.  What I wanted to do was to
call sudo in such a way as it would either succeed or fail (error code
return handling), not ask for a password.  Since it asks for a password,
it looks like I'll have to use the expect package in CPAN (it is a perl
script that I'm writing).  I wanted to avoid using expect (even inside
perl), but it looks like I have no choice.

Ken