Sudoers parsing order revisted

Moss, Leonard J. ljm at slac.stanford.edu
Fri May 21 18:46:06 EDT 2004

Back in March 2001, Steve Freed asked:

> If I have a large and complicated sudoers file and I have
> something like:

      sfreed  ALL  = (root)  /bin/ls

> and then later I have

      sfreed  otherhost = (ALL !root) /bin/ls

> Which takes precedence? First match? Last Match? Unpredictable?
> This is a pretty simple example compared to what I'm really
> dealing with, since by the time I get to user specifications,
> it's pretty much all aliases.

And Todd responded:

> Last match.

I'd like to make sure I understand this correctly.  I think
you're saying that the last match rule would still apply even if
the userid in one or both of the entries was replaced by a user
alias that included that userid, correct?

TIA.