[sudo-users] Frequently getting timestamp errors

Alex Charrett sudo at transposed.org
Fri Aug 26 09:29:12 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm having an issue where quite often (but not all the time) when I invoke
sudo it warns on "timestamp too far in the future".

$ sudo emerge --search sudo
sudo: timestamp too far in the future: Jul 25 06:53:28 2029

Followed up by an email:
-----
Subject: *** SECURITY information for server ***

server : Aug 26 14:15:17 : user : timestamp too far in the future: Jul 25
06:53:28 2029 ; TTY=pts/1 ; PWD=/home/user ; USER=root ;
COMMAND=/usr/bin/emerge --search sudo
-----

I've had a pretty thorough google on the subject and spoken to various
collegues, but no-one can work out why it's doing this.  I've even
resorted to running a find / -exec stat {} \; and there are no files on my
system with the date it's complaining about.   My machine runs ntp so I'm
confused as to how this could have happened.

Below are various versions and permissions that should be helpful:

$ sudo -V
Sudo version 1.6.8p9

-r--r-----  1 root root 1671 Jul 31 11:56 /etc/sudoers
drwx------  3 root root 4096 Aug 26 14:15 /var/run/sudo/
drwx------  2 root root 4096 Aug 26 14:20 /var/run/sudo/user

$ uname -a
Linux server 2.4.29-sparc #4 Mon Apr 18 21:05:44 BST 2005 sparc64 sun4u TI
UltraSparc IIe (Hummingbird) GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/gentoo-release
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.13

Has anyone got any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Alex.