[sudo-users] troubleshooting with logs

donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com donald.ritchey at exeloncorp.com
Tue Jul 19 17:00:08 EDT 2005

Depending on the version of UNIX and the characteristics of the startup
process used, daemon processes may have the console as their controlling
TTY or they may have null entry, if the O/S updates the TTY information
after the daemon disassociates itself from the TTY where it was started.

Most daemons started while the system is booted will have the console
as their controlling TTY during the startup process.  That is because
the console terminal is the default output destination of the run control
programs that boot the system.  As the run control program exits, it closes
the console, which closes the daemon's terminal as well.  Once the boot
scripts or programs complete, the daemon process will then have a null TTY,
since it has been effectively disassociated from that terminal.

On occasion and, again, depending on the version of UNIX, the daemon may
retain a connection to the console and this connection will show up
associating the daemon with the console port.

It is not a big deal most of the time, since the daemon processes are
designed to run without a terminal connection to their standard-in, -out,
and -error files.  The most likely cause of a sudo entry with no controlling
TTY is for a sudo command run from within a crontab entry or via an at(1)
task.  In this case, the crond daemon, which starts the process, normally
has no controlling TTY and the cron process or at job inherits this lack
of a controlling terminal.

Additionally, if the daemon process is running as the root (or superuser
ID),
it may have the ability to open the console terminal for output, if that
terminal is 'open'.  (For example, the daemon may need to display status or
error messages on the console.  If the console is connected to a terminal
or printer device, and the device is turned on, the daemon can send its
messages or errors to the device.)

Best wishes,

Donald L. (Don) Ritchey
Information Technology