[sudo-users] Execution permission denied

Bob Proulx bob at proulx.com
Tue Mar 1 01:05:07 EST 2005

lars ebeling wrote:
> You are right it's wrong architecture. I didn't think there were any
> differences between a HP D370 and D380, but it's different
> processors D380 is supporting 32/64 bits. Now I have downloaded from
> sudo.ws and will try that.

This is getting off-topic for the list, but...

It might be easiest to compile sudo on the machine.  It compiles
easily on hpux.

If you system is supporting either 32 or 64 bits then it won't matter
which binary is actually used.  For sudo it would likely be the 32 bit
binary.  Do you need a 64 bit sudo?  I would not think so.

I did not think there was any software difference between the D370 and
D380 either.  I know the D370 is a pa-risc-2.0 PA8000 cpu.  So it
should handle either 32 or 64 bits.  But your OS needs to support
that.  I don't have a D380 but am pretty sure it was just an upgraded
D370 and should have the same software capabilities.

You did not say what 'file' said on the binary.  That would still be
useful to know.  You also need to be running a matching kernel.  What
does file say on the hpux kernel?

  file /usr/local/bin/sudo

  file /stand/vmunix

If the kernel says "s800 executable" then it is a 32-bit only kernel.
If it says "ELF-64 executable object file - PA-RISC 2.0 (LP64)" then
it is good for either 32 or 64 bit executables.

You might be trying to run a binary compiled for a later version of
HP-UX on an older HP-UX version.  In which case check the 'chatr'
output.

  chatr /usr/local/bin/sudo

Look for 'dynamic   /usr/lib/libc.2' or something similar.  Check that
against actually having /usr/lib/libc.2 on the machine.  libc.1 is
HP-UX 10.20 while libc.2 is HP-UX 11.0 or later.  I can't tell the
difference between 11.0 and 11.11 but again, you can't run 11.11
binaries on an 11.0 machine.

And just to make sure, you are not talking about an HP dl380 which is
an Intel Xeon processor, right?  That is a completely different
machine and would not be running HP-UX.  It would be running GNU/Linux
most likely.

Bob