[sudo-users] RBAC .vs. SUDO

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Wed Nov 9 12:25:12 EST 2005

Hi Asif,

If logging matters to you, sudo definitely has an advantage over RBAC.
Sudo logging is very easy to read; RBAC logging is practically unreadable.

If you're managing a mixed environment (say, Solaris and AIX) and if you do want to standardize, SUDO has another important advantage, i.e., that it is supported by all Unices. AIX, for instance, does not support RBAC.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits

"...all too often, when organizations develop information security programs, they treat security issues as a simple 'check-box' on the list of required corporate functions."
Richard Forno & Kenneth R van Wyk, "Incident Response", O'Reilly, 2001, ISBN: 0-596-00130-4