[sudo-users] share a sudoers file

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Tue Nov 22 12:21:38 EST 2005

On Mon, Nov 21, 2005 at 03:15:20PM -0600, Mark F wrote:
> I'd like to share a sudoers file on a smb share amongst several Linux
> boxes.  I thought to put it by itself in the share and set a symlink,
> /etc/sudoers to point to /my/shared/directory/sudoers but visudo
> overwrites the symlink?  How is this normally done?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mark

Well, it can be done, but what happens if the SMB share is unavailable?
Myself, I have one "master" system that has a local copy of the sudoers
files in it's default place (you can compile it to go elsewhere, too, if
you're so inclined) then use a distribution mechanism to send out local
copies to all machines that need one.  You only need "visudo" to manage
the lock and manage the "safety" and syntax of the file (ie. good
practice in a place where you have multiple admins making modifications
to systems).  Hope that helps...

Russell

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

"I do not fear love but I fear what comes next.  I fear when it does not
 come at all.  I fear the extreme and the feeling of loss."
                                                      - Douglas Coupland