[sudo-users] Running scripts in a networked environment using sudo

Robert William Leach robleach at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 2 17:16:46 EDT 2006

Hi GG,

I was trying to do the same thing and I think I worked it out on
solaris 9.  Hopefully this will apply directly to your question.

I wanted a script which would take a file of commands used to
'deploy' software to various systems because certain tasks have to be
performed for each file to put it in production.  In so doing, I
needed to inherit the environment of the user I'm using `sudo -u
username` with.  I couldn't understand why -i wasn't working and I
figured out that it needs input.  I didn't have a file to redirect
in, so here's an example of what I did:

ssh deploymentmachine.com -l root "echo cd\ path\/to\/development\/
file\ \\\&\\\&\ cvs\ update\ file\ \\\&\\\&\ mydeploycommand\ file |
sudo -u builduser -i"

So basically, I'm ssh'ing as root to the server on which I want to
deploy my software.  (I have a mount, but I'm not hooked into NIS, so
I must ssh over to assume the user's, e.g. "builduser", identity and
environment.)  I then echo the commands I want to execute and pipe
them to my sudo command using the -u and -i options.

Of course, this asks for my password, so when I execute this command
in my script, I append " >& /dev/tty" to the end of the command so I
know what's going on (i.e. I see the password request).  I was
testing it wrapped inside a perl -e one-liner, so you'll note I used
double quotes.  Eventually, I'll fix it so I only need to enter a
password(s) once per script run and I'll use single quotes and double-
quotes for the echo line.

I'm certain there's probably a cleaner/better way to do this, but
given my paltry knowledge of system commands, this is the best I can
do and it works for me.  Please feel free to submit a better solution.

Rob