[sudo-users] sudo authentication using ssh-agent

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Fri Feb 17 05:58:03 EST 2006

Hi Gray,

If password authentication is an issue, you should consider allowing the execution of sudos without a password. The added value of passwords for sudo is rather doubtful.

For security reasons, I'd rather recommend to take the following steps:
1. Have all sudo authorization managed from within LDAP and prohibit the use of local /etc/sudoers files.
   - Local /etc/sudoers files are harder to maintain, especially in large environments.
   - Local /etc/sudoers files are harder to audit for back doors.
   - If a seperation of responsibilities is required (between security management and system management), then it is much
     easier to maintain this seperation if sudo authorizations are managed from within LDAP.
2. Have all sudo logging collected at a central log host, via syslog.

At our company, which is a large financial institution, affected by SOX, we do not require users to type in a password if they want to execute a sudo. But we have taken the steps outlined above, as well as a few others. And frankly, we feel quite SOX-compliant with regard to sudo, even without this requirement for a password.

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits
OPS&ITB/WPS/UAS/MSO UNIX
Locatiecode NA 00.92
T (020) 563 73 33, F (020) 563 70 02
E Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl

"...all too often, when organizations develop information security programs, they treat security issues as a simple 'check-box' on the list of required corporate functions."
Richard Forno & Kenneth R van Wyk, "Incident Response", O'Reilly, 2001, ISBN: 0-596-00130-4