[sudo-users] sudo and variable expantion: HowTo?

Todd C. Miller Todd.Miller at courtesan.com
Thu Jun 8 13:41:44 EDT 2006

In message <17810649131.20060608183732 at gmail.com>
	so spake =?koi8-r?B?x8XOxdLBzCDw1dLQz9o=?= (kb2wjw):

> Could I suggest an option for sudo to make it to expand the reference
> string prior to comparing?
> Is it the Bad Thing, or just an omission pending to be implemented
> sooner or later?

Since such expansion is shell-specific sudo can't really do this;
it just doesn't know all the rules for expansion a particular shell
might use.  Furthermore, this could be dangerous since you are
effectively asking sudo to run a command before it has verified
that the user has permission to do so.