[sudo-users] Giving access to one app for all users

David Ledger david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
Sun May 21 13:34:04 EDT 2006

At 15:01 -0600 18/5/06, Bob Proulx wrote:
>Paul Thompson wrote:
>>    When I modified the sudoers file, I cd to /etc and then
>>  authenticated as root before I ran visudo -f /etc/sudoers to modify
>>  the file.
>
>You are editing /etc/sudoers.
>
>The visudo command should have the path already compiled into it.  You
>should be able to simply run visudo and edit the file without having
>to go to a particular place and specifying the filename directly.
>
>   sudo visudo
>
>>  Pirates-Cove:~ paul$ strings /usr/bin/sudo | grep sudoers
>>  /private/etc/sudoers
>
>Looks to me like your sudo command is compiled to use
>/private/etc/sudoers and not /etc/sudoers.  Don't you agree?

On OSX /etc, /tmp and /var are links to /private/etc, etc. I can't
say I understand why. I thought it might be to make it easier to
isolate those parts of the filesystem from the GUI, but /usr is real.

I have set up sudo on HP-UX and Solaris sites set up situations that
venture a little beyond the trivial, but I've never needed to set up
anything really complex and so I always have to work with the man
page.

I think we can be sure that sudo and visudo are using the same file.
Could be a bug in Apple's port, but I would expect them just to build
the standard distribution.

David

--
David Ledger - Freelance Unix Sysadmin in the UK.
Chair of HPUX SysAdmin SIG of hpUG technical user group (www.hpug.org.uk)
david.ledger at ivdcs.co.uk
www.ivdcs.co.uk