[sudo-users] execute blocked command from a script

Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl Huibert.Kivits at mail.ing.nl
Fri May 26 07:11:19 EDT 2006

Hi Ran,

Unfortunately, the NOEXEC option does not work on all platforms. For sure, it doesn't work on AIX.

Some smart guy at our company invented a way around this problem. Scripts - and any command that offers a shell escape - are only allowed to be run through a wrapper. This wrapper in itself is a script and looks like this:

#!/bin/ksh
export SHELL=/usr/bin/login
$*

So what you basically do is the following:
- Create a script /usr/local/bin/wrapper
- Put the aforementioned lines in the script
- Permissions should be 555, and root should be the owner
- Authorize sudo's like follows:
  sudoCommand: /usr/local/bin/wrapper <the intended command or script>
  (This is how you would authorize the sudo through LDAP; dunno about a local /etc/sudoers file)

Success!

Met vriendelijke groeten / With kind regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Med vänliga hälsningar / nuosirdziausi linkejimai,

Huibert Kivits

"...all too often, when organizations develop information security programs, they treat security issues as a simple 'check-box' on the list of required corporate functions."
Richard Forno & Kenneth R van Wyk, "Incident Response", O'Reilly, 2001, ISBN: 0-596-00130-4