[sudo-users] Keep LD_LIBRAY_PATH

Russell Van Tassell russell+sudo-users at loosenut.com
Thu Nov 2 12:39:04 EST 2006

On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 09:46:01AM -0500, Todd C. Miller wrote:
> In message <4549F682.4080200 at gmail.com>
> 	so spake Jan Albrecht (jan.albrecht):
>
> > I think crle is no option as I have to use on a system eviroment where
> > HP-UX, AIX, Linux and Solaris are running. So there must be a system
> > wide solution.
> >
> > Is there no native way by sudo?
>
> The problem is that most dynamic linkers remove LD_LIBRAY_PATH when
> running a setuid program (like sudo) so by the time sudo runs it
> is not even in the environment.
>
> If you cannot change the global list of allowed shared library
> locations you can always make a script that just sets the variable
> appropriately and then executes the program that needs it.
>
>  - todd

*nod*  I mentioned this a day or two ago... realistically, if you're
using sudo chances are you really don't want to simply blindly pass
through something like LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- the possible nastiness there
is, well... probably outside of this discussion.

It's really best to just write a simple wrapper script and name it
something conscipicuous with regards to the actual executeable:

-- begin
#!/sbin/sh

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/path/to/my/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/path/to/my/bin
-- end

--
Russell M. Van Tassell
russell at loosenut.com

Try not to have a good time ... This is supposed to be educational.
                                                       -- Charles Schulz